Thursday, September 9, 2010
Attention and Multitasking!
The section I reviewed was on Multitasking. Now a days students are very different than what they used to be back in the days. Now you see students bringing their laptops to their classes, and surfing the web as professors try to lecture. The video made a good point that teachers also have to change their teaching styles to keep the students attention. The distraction caused my the web can be very frustrating and as a future teacher it would also be upsetting for myself to stand in front a class and notice that the attention is somewhere else. It can become very hard when teachers have to compete with this distraction. Many of the students believe they can multitask successfully, yet how much learning do they actually get from multitasking. From my own experience I have tried to multitask by either texting or using my itouch and trying to pay attention in the class. By the end of the lesson, I know that I did not understand the complete context so for me multitasking is not successful. One of the studens made a good point. He said if they are not up to date with technology, they can lose a job in their future. Schools are affected by technology each and everyday. Some teachers have to adjust their teaching styles to keep the students attention. I personally believe that I will try my hardest to be creative and use all the essential tools to create a warm and friendly environment for my students to learn math with any type of technology.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that although a student may think that they are capable on multitasking in a classroom setting, they are most likely missing important material. I admit that I have been on my phone during a lecture, and when comparing what I learned from classes that I have not been on the phone, I missed a lot of content. Also, now that I see from both from a teacher’s perspective of how frustrating it is to see students on their phones or laptops and how students think they can, I see the faults of multitasking. Years ago, the biggest distraction for students was their chatty friend sitting next to them. The distractions we are faced with now aren’t as easily fixable. Therefore, I agree when you say that you are open to using as much technology in the classroom as possible to keep students engaged. We should embrace these distractions and use them to our advantage!
ReplyDeleteI also agree how it would be very frustrating to be a teacher and see most of your students multitasking. I remember my 6th grade math teacher told us how it was alright to be in our own little world during class but know what is going on class. Sometimes it is hard for students to pay attention for a straight 40-45 minutes. Teachers do need to adjust their lesson in order to keep their students attention. Good thing we are learning new ideas in our classes! :p
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like we are going to have it pretty tough out there. I agree that it is going to be hard to keep students attention when they have so many pieces of technology at their disposal. I think that if we can implement these technologies into the classroom, then we can engage the students and get them interested.
ReplyDelete